About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Kayla. I have a dual B.A. in Communication Studies & English from the University of Michigan, and I currently work for a Broadcast PR Firm in New York City. I blog about anything that interests me and that others may be remotely interested in. I wouldn't characterize myself as an expert at any one thing in particular, but rather as a somewhat well-rounded individual that tries to keep on top of current pop culture trends as much as possible. I also love to shop, read, and watch movies, so you'll see a lot of style alerts as well as film and novel reviews. And if you're wondering what my blog title means, venerating means to hold praise or admiration for something, and dernier cri is French for "the latest fashion."

Monday, December 20, 2010

Film Review: Burlesque

I saw the movie Burlesque, starring Cher and Christina Aguilera, a few weeks ago. I was mesmerized by the previews which made me desire to see the movie in theaters. Sequins, pearls, fishnet stockings, lace and feathers were the eye grabbing materials for the tantalizing stage costumes for the performers. I was enthralled by the choreographed routines of the sexy, petite dancers with tight bods, and even more by Christina Aguilera's powerful voice.

Christina Aguilera and Cher both did great. I was actually surprised how well Christina did. The film was a perfect fit for her. She is actually not too bad of an actress (actually much better than my fav, Britney Spears, in Cross Roads. Sorry Brit Brit). And somehow she looked just as young as she did when she first started out in her singing career--as in "Genie in a Bottle" young. Her face looked youthful, fresh and flawless, and her naturally thin body looked at its prime.


I wasn't expecting too much from the plot of the film, but it surprisingly wasn't too bad either. It was one of those feel good movies that makes you want to get all dolled up and go out dancing. You can never have too much eye candy.

After watching the film, it made me a little curious about what burlesque is all about. According to wikipedia.org,
"Early theatrical burlesque was a form of musical and theatrical parody in which a serious or romantic opera or piece of classical theatre was adapted in a broad, often risqué style that ridiculed stage conventions.... In 20th century America the word became associated with a variety show in which striptease is the chief attraction."


Burlesque the movie mixes some some of the traditional practices and techniques of burlesque with a fresh, modern twist. What I appreciate about the film is that it isn't raunchy; Despite the fact that the women on stage are hardly wearing any clothes, they are still able to maintain a respectable, unattainable air about themselves. In addition, the movie seems to really embody the essence of burlesque.

Burlesque isn't simply a stripe tease. Traditional burlesque shows, "encompass a variety of acts such as dancing girls, chanson singers, comedians, mime artists, and striptease artistes, all satirical and with a saucy edge." Burlesque the movie stayed true to this by showing a comedic male mime and having a live band present on the stage.

If you're looking to hear a pretty voice and see some hot, sexy dance routines without having to think about anything too serious or deep, Burlesque is surely the right movie to entertain you.

No comments:

Post a Comment