About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Kayla. I have a dual B.A. in Communication Studies & English from the University of Michigan, and I currently work for a Broadcast PR Firm in New York City. I blog about anything that interests me and that others may be remotely interested in. I wouldn't characterize myself as an expert at any one thing in particular, but rather as a somewhat well-rounded individual that tries to keep on top of current pop culture trends as much as possible. I also love to shop, read, and watch movies, so you'll see a lot of style alerts as well as film and novel reviews. And if you're wondering what my blog title means, venerating means to hold praise or admiration for something, and dernier cri is French for "the latest fashion."

Monday, June 14, 2010

Entranced in Wonderland

So last night I finally saw Alice in Wonderland, and it was nothing less than amazing! I literally sat inches away from my television screen in order to absorb everything. Some who I asked before I had the chance to see the movie said it was "weird," but that's the point, isn't it? A fantastical dream should be imaginative and bizarre. I absolutely loved the vivid colors and the unique variety of characters. I actually think I enjoyed Tim Burton's modern version of Alice in Wonderland more than I did the Disney version when I was a young girl.

Another aspect of the film that I enjoyed were Alice's dresses. Check out this Alice in Wonderland fashion spread in Vogue. It's actually from December 2003, but it's still so chic. I've never liked the color blue as much as I did throughout the movie and in the Alice fashion spread.

Below is Mia Wasikowska who plays Alice. At first I thought she was kind of homely looking, but she grew on me, and now I think she was a perfect fit for the character. It kind of annoyed me that her name isn't even on the front of the DVD box considering she is the main character. Only Johnny Depp's name was listed. While I do think Depp did an excellent job as well, I don't think his name and only his was deserving to have the cover all for himself. Even Anne Hathaway surprisingly got shafted.

Alice in Wonderland (2010) was a creative and modern twist to a beloved Disney tale, and it is definitely a movie I plan on watching again as well as recommending to others. I also really liked its stress on the message to follow your heart and be daring, even if that means doing something that others may not understand or disapprove.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment